Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thank You, Intro to Cross-Cultural Communication!

Sometimes a class that is easy to take for granted will prove itself worthwhile. Such is the case with my Intro to Cross-Cultural Communication class with Mr. Killebrew. I took it because it is a general education requirement, and it had potential to enrich my interest in world cultures. Indeed it did.

The mid-term assignment was to engage in a cross-cultural activity and write about it. For my cross-cultural activity, I went with my "cross-cultural buddy," Eden, who is from China, to St. Louis Chinese Lutheran Church. I was already interested in Chinese culture, but this experience made me want to go to China and immerse myself in its culture more than ever. Chinese people are beautiful and precious. I appreciate Eden and her willingness to let me tag along with her, her friends, and family for the celebration of the Chinese moon cake festival on Saturday and the church service on Sunday.

While I was working on my mid-term paper I thought of the idea of having Eden teach me Chinese. I postponed my work to send her an email about it. Shortly after, she wrote back saying she'd like to. I was so excited! I want to be able to read and write in Chinese, and God has given me the opportunity through Eden to do them. I believe I will go to China someday, and learning the language could be preparation for my trip.

MBU is offering a Chinese class some time. Because I am taking baby Greek (Elementary Koine I), I do not think it would be wise for me to take the course. If you would like to learn the Chinese language, however, contact Dr. Han, Humanities chair and English professor, for more information.

I am so thankful for the experience and the encouragement to learn more about heritage and cultures from Intro to Cross-Cultural Communication. I think it is Mr. Ray Killebrew's best class. I can honestly say that learning about a particular culture is best done by experiencing the culture yourself.

No comments: