Sunday, December 26, 2010

Rightly Handling the Word of Truth in Preaching?

Today Rachel and I visited a church in Fredericktown neither one of us had visited before but about which we had heard positive things. Services for Meadow Heights were cancelled, so we ventured out into the frosty air to worship the Lord with new people.

I was disappointed during the service, mostly because I was missing--and still miss--my brothers and sisters from FBC-St. Peters. The other reasons are lack of depth and expositional preaching. The message spoken was true but barely tethered to God's Word by way of Scripture proclamation. I have trouble with preaching like this because it is not false, but it is not couched in Authority, so I don't trust it. I know where I stand, but if someone asks me what I think about what I heard, I'm not sure how to answer them because I don't want to promote a critical spirit. (I struggled with this sort of thing for three years, so I'm gun-shy.)

I think a line about theology from Sjogren and Robison's Cat and Dog Theology applies here: The message is "not incorrect--it is just incomplete" (100). How can the hearers know the richness and many dimensions of the Word if the Word is not preached entirely, and how can the Word be preached entirely if only three non-consecutive verses are cited in a sermon? It seems more profitable and honorable to preach the Word (instead of a topic) and let It dictate the main body, implications, and applications of the sermon instead of limiting the Bible to supporting evidence.

On the flip side, the Holy Spirit works in people's hearts through either form of preaching, and the preacher in this service did proclaim Jesus. Do I have grounds to even be disappointed in the sermon I heard? (I even have trouble calling it a sermon.) I entered that sanctuary thirsty for a preaching of the Word and felt as though I received only a few drops of water. I expected that I would need to use my Bible but actually didn't. Jesus being proclaimed is good (duh), so I can't knock the preacher too hard, right? I'm thinking of the attitude Paul had in Philippians 1:15-18. At the same time, Paul commanded Timothy, pastor of the Church at Ephesus, to preach the Word.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. (2 Timothy 3:16-4:5)
So, what do you think? Are preachers who preach a true message from biblical principles but barely reference the Bible rightly handling the Word of Truth (2 Timothy 2:15)?

1 comment:

Mr. Mcgranor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.