Saturday, January 29, 2011

At 264 and Bardstown Road

This winter has been exceptionally cold and wet in Louisville. I've lived here for almost a month, and snow has covered the grass nearly every day. (Today, however, the sun was out, the ground was clear, and the temperature was nice.) I live in an old, drafty apartment--though I like it--that presents a particular challenge in my bedroom. The cold air floats right in through the window and base of the balcony door. I sleep with my bedroom door closed, so when the temp drops to seven degrees at night, my room becomes a seven-degree freezer, for the heater is insufficient, perhaps even ineffective, against the gentle breeze.

I will spare you the details of attempts to remedy the problem and the sleep loss so as to not deter you from the main point of this post. I will tell you that I began to get sick, and my good attitude plummeted. My sister bought me two small space heaters on sale from Target, and now I can sleep as snug as a bug in a rug.

So what's the point? Well, one cold, overcast day while stopped at a light for Bardstown Road, Rachel and I witnessed a homeless man hanging out under the overpass. He doesn't have a space heater. He doesn't even have a cold, dry room or a soft place to lay his head. I wondered how a man like him could survive the winter.

Suddenly waking up in the early morning hours with body tense and frigid air drifting past my ear wasn't so bad. I knew I had to endure only for a little while. This guy has the whole winter. It must be difficult to persevere, especially if he is not a believer in Jesus Christ.

Rachel has the idea and intention of creating kits of food and supplies to hand out to homeless people when she sees them. She can store them behind her seat in order to always have one ready to give. I think that's stellar.

Since we passed that homeless man, he comes to mind from time. I wonder how he's doing, what his happened in his life, and whether he loves or is loved by anyone.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am glad you are blogging again. :)
Oh and the next time we go to the store, we need to buy stuff to make some packets. :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an excellent plan. Please keep us posted on how your project is going. =)