Sunday, April 08, 2012

Words

I watched the movie The Help tonight with family. It reminded me of the power of words. Since I learned to write, I've written. I did not have a cause at first; I just wrote to express my thoughts and feelings. I enjoyed it. In middle school, I wanted to not only express myself but also express meaning. In high school, I used the school newspaper to gain a voice. I also learned to write differently for different genres. Then in college, the meaning I wished to convey became a message. Somewhere between middle school and high school graduation, God made me alive in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:4-9), as if I awoke from sleep (Eph. 5:14). Sometimes I share the message here. And sometimes it touches lives.

Tonight I experienced the power of words to hurt. Some decisions are very tough. Though my initial response was self-pity and a little anger, I knew that that was no way to go about it. Even now, God redeems the circumstances. I turn back to Him. He wastes nothing. His gospel, the one that is the power unto salvation (Rom. 1:16), is powerful still to sustain me. I do not have to respond in self-pity and anger anymore because Christ broke the bondage of sin. I can choose to respond in faith and courage by the power of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 5 says to understand what the will of the Lord is. Well, I do know this: God wants me to trust Him to give me the wisdom for each decision and the words to say in tough conversations. It's gonna be okay. I am sure that I will witness once again, as always, God's grace prevail.

I am only the instrument. The gospel is the music with the lyrics for life.

No comments: