Thursday, February 10, 2011

1 Cor. 4 Revisited: SBTS Chapel

Before I begin the actual point of this post, let me announce that my dear church family in St. Peters has their website up and running again! It's pretty sweet, and I am very excited to listen to the sermons from week-to-week!

Anyway, I've been sick and decided not to attend chapel today. Knowing that C.J. Mahaney would be speaking, I had to pseudo-attend via Southern's website. As soon as I began watching, I wished I was there. Southern really is like a family, and you feel it most when you're in chapel. (It's not all academia in the clouds, like some outsiders may think.)

After singing "All I Have Is Christ" and Dr. Mohler's introducing him, C.J. approached the podium to speak. Not long into his sermon, he asked us to turn in our Bibles to 1 Cor. 4. I cried. As you may have noticed, I posted about 1 Cor. 4 Tuesday night and posted a status on Facebook of v. 7. I am humbled by and thankful for how the Lord uses Scripture and obedient men to touch me in a transformative way.

You must watch the video and listen to his message. Then continue reading.

Before entering seminary, I feared that my struggle of going all-intellectual would return to the fore. I did not want to sink back into such a proud, hypocritical pit from which the Lord so graciously and patiently pulled me. Hearing the Word preached this morning--I'm crying even now--I feel His hand hold me (Ps. 139 comes to mind), as if He's saying, "Kristi, I've got you. You're where I want you. I won't let your feet slip. I'll protect you from your sinful tendency." He's humbled me yet again. The Lord is so good, and he assures with gentleness. What rest is there in Christ's assurance! I didn't grasp this Tuesday night. The Lord knew I needed to encounter 1 Cor. 4 again, especially v. 7. Thank you, C.J., for being an obedient servant of Christ and helpful brother to me and everyone at SBTS in delivering this Word. I am confident the Lord Jesus will continually warn and remind me that I hava nothing that I did not receive from Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll want to place a twitter icon to your blog. I just bookmarked this site, however I must make it by hand. Just my 2 cents.

Kristi Tokko said...

I added the Tweet button to the sidebar under the followers. Is that what you mean? I'm not familiar with how Twitter works, so I'm not sure if I used your two cents or not. :)