Tuesday, April 12, 2011

All I Can Say, Part 1

I have so much to say but no words. Not adequate ones anyway. This will be my poor attempt to relate the past week and a half that culminated the past two days--more accurately, how God has dealt with me and what He has done. I will go into detail during exposition to help you better feel the matchless joy and gratitude I felt in the resolution.

Last week was Spring Reading Days at Southern Seminary. I had planned a quiet, restful, yet productive week when I would write my Church History paper and watch The Lord of the Rings along with regular homework and ministry responsibilities. "The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps" (Proverbs 16:9). The Lord instead had something much better in mind than what I had for myself. Monday my "spring break" exploded as I realized that I had bitten off more than I could chew. Several things happened unexpectedly or earlier than I predicted to which I chose to freak out and bear down. Trying to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps never pleases the Lord, and it just doesn't work. As usual, I set the bar too high for myself when I shouldn't be setting the bar at all. I should simply trust and obey. This requires faith, not fear. As the week continued, the sin of turning to myself and not the Lord spiraled into more stress and more sin. Though I recognized God's hand moving (a few cancelled meetings that freed up time for schoolwork), I hadn't surrendered.

Elisabeth Elliot sums up my experience actually in these lines from Keep a Quiet Heart, a compilation of newsletter articles she had written over the years:

"A willing acceptance of all that God assigns and a glad surrender of all that I am and have constitute the key to receiving the gift of a quiet heart. Whenever I have balked, the quietness goes. It is restored, and life immeasurably simplified, when I have trusted and obeyed." (13)

So far, you see an example of when I have balked. Anxiety caused me to tremble within unceasingly. Progress on my paper was slow, though I had crossed LOTR, two meetings, Bible study, the story group meeting, etc., off my calendar. I was distracted in my thoughts thanks to "personal life" and worn from late nights. No quietness dwelt in my soul.

Then Sunday came. A much-needed conversation with my sister brought me conviction, helpful instruction, and new resolve. I felt rotten but thanked her because I knew it was God's goodness to me. The conversation also provided me with an opportunity for incredible distraction during my paper. I sat in my hot room staring at the computer screen, fingers posed on the keys, but no movement effused. I couldn't discipline myself to think about my research topic or even move. I just sat frozen with jumbled, idle thoughts. Meanwhile, how was I going to finish my assignments for Tuesday?

No comments: