Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Are You Lonesome Tonight?

I spent some quality time with Elvis tonight as I prepped for bed. Rinsing one's sinuses is much more fun when shaking the solution to the rhythm of "Jailhouse Rock." "It's now or never" to floss, and who can beat putting on the PJs in the dark to the bluesy "Are You Lonesome Tonight"? Back in my late nights, I'd sometimes dance to Elvis in my dorm room at three in the morning. (Pretty sure I blogged about it once...) Coming to STL and realizing that not everyone likes Elvis was an adjustment. I echo my sister's sentiments when she asked, "Who couldn't like Elvis?" If you find yourself shaking your head in disapproval, how about "a little less conversation" and just "reconsider, baby." You may become a fan and put away your "suspicious minds."

Silliness with titles aside, the song "Memories" just came on my iPod. I am now somber and almost moved to tears. This song pretty much rips my heart out these days. It takes me to the days of my childhood with my sister--times that only live in my memory and photographs. With her so far away, the memories are bittersweet--mostly sweet. I miss her very much, but I am blessed in getting to still talk to her. I hope that someday soon, we'll get to rock out to Elvis in her Z again. (I feel selfish saying that though because she's up to some great stuff these days that will affect many more people for the good than just me.)

Good night.

No comments: