Thursday, July 22, 2010

Links Between The Fellowship of the Ring and the Gospel

As promised, with the exception of when, I will here share some of the parallels I found while watching The Fellowship of the Ring. Given Tolkien's religious background, the symbolism was no doubt intentional, though inconsistent. I think these links are what helped me sit through the three hours--my movie muscle is weak but received much exercise through this trilogy. The other two movies carried my intrigue, and Tolkien's brilliance remained, so that I found the entire story exceptional. So, here we go. Three observations:

1. The betrayal--It was revealed to Frodo that he would face betrayal from a member of the Fellowship and that the Fellowship would divide--scatter, if you will. Jesus knew beforehand Judas Iscariot would betray him as well (John 6:70-71; 13:21).

2. Solitude--Frodo withdrew to a quiet place, as leaders do. He was burdened and needed time alone. Jesus withdrew many times from the Jews or from the crowds, sometimes to pray. It was in one of these times of isolation that Frodo was betrayed. He once again faced man's desire for the ring.

3. The growth in power and physical spread of evil--The darkness portrayed in The Fellowship of the Ring panged my heart. It struck me deeper than I had anticipated. As the power of the ring grew, hope dissipated. The distinction between good and evil are not always easily discerned in the characters either. This mirrors reality well. Imagine the Fall, and what it must have been like for depravity to enter the world and human nature. All was affected, even creation, just like in this movie.

More redemptive and christological parallels exist in this movie and in the series as a whole. I can't help but seek them out while watching. I've become a sucker for such fantasy. The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker impacted my understanding of sin and redemption, and now The Lord of the Rings has done the same.

No comments: